View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 01, 2018, 09:34am
Stubborn Member

Severe Drop In Assignments

I don't know what to do, so I need some advice.

I've been officiating for 10 years, and I've never had any issue with getting a full schedule of games. For example, when games have been rescheduled due to weather I'm not able to work them on their make-up date because I already have a game scheduled that day. It's nice, but it also kinda stinks as I'm never able to help out when needed.

Mind you, I work in retail, so my work schedule keeps me from working pretty much any time except for when I'm already scheduled for a game. Which limits me to about 25-30 games a season.

But as of right now, when most league games have already been assigned (non-league games, at least around here, are scheduled closer to when the season starts), I only have 2 games. And those two games come from an assignor I've rarely worked for in the past, as two assignors regularly fill me up.

I've sent emails about two weeks ago, giving those assignors my open dates, but have yet to hear a reply. So I'm a little concerned that I've been blackballed for some reason.

I haven't had any issues with fellow officials. Besides a technical foul here or there (I can count how many techs I've given out over the past three seasons on one hand), I haven't had any problems with coaches or players, either. The only thing that seems plausible is that I'm not able to get to camps/clinics most years due to my work schedule. Hell, I'm lucky to get vacation time, let alone time to attend any camps/clinics regularly.

By the way, my ratings have been good. Not at the top or anything, but nothing that would make me believe I'm not getting games because of my ability to officiate or work with other officials, coaches, etc.

There is one other thing, but I don't really believe this is it. I use my real name on my Twitter and Facebooks accounts (probably a mistake, but I started using my real name a while ago so said "screw it"). I don't talk at all about officiating on my FB account, outside of noting that I'm an official in my profile. I may share a story or my opinion every once in a great while about officiating in general on Twitter, but nothing having to do with my own officiating... be that schools, other officials, where I'm officiating, etc.

This is where I may be stretching things...

On Twitter, I'm very outspoken about my dislike of Donald Trump. With politics being as partisan as they are nowadays, is there any chance those assignors like Trump and simply don't want to work with me for that reason?

Should I keep my mouth shut and hope for things to change? Should I email those assignors and ask? I don't want to annoy anyone, but this kinda sucks.