View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
yes, the over the back, as you describe it, where no contact down low, outside guy gets up and hits hand on inside guy while inside guys hand is on the ball, and my understanding is now that is ball to the outside /hand hitting hand guy.

with all due respect, i think it's a matter of a high profile TV game where instant replay shows this, and they give it to the outside guy and the officials tell the coaches that if outside guy hit hand, doesn't have to hit ball, he gets the ball, this will be changed. I would be surprised if this has been spelled out to coaches by officials, because it is a ludicrous result. I would be very surprised if D1 coaches understand that interpretation, and the tweak in how officials call it precisely because of the risk that replay will be their undoing. But what do I know, although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

to tell the truth, I don't really understand why a replay can't result in a foul when one wasn't called on the play, rather than just out of bounds or whatever. If using replay, why not just go ahead and get it right?

thanks for all your time, you obviously know the current officiating environment.
Replay can only result in a foul if the officials rule that the action that they reviewed constituted a flagrant 1 or 2 personal foul, a contact dead ball technical foul, or a flagrant technical foul. If there was no flagrant foul, but there was a common foul, on replay, officials can enforce the common foul. Replay can also determine whether there was a fight, and penalize the players involved. However, outside of 11-2-1-d, instant replay cannot create fouls. So, replay can result in fouls, but only in flagrant and/or technical fouls when there was a call, or a review was requested by a coach, or in common fouls, if there was evidence of such fouls when the review was initiated by the officials.