View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
So why makes these two statements in the new interpretation (not a new rule):
-If the pitcher is taking a signal from an arm band, the needs to be done while she is in contact with the pitcher's plate.
-If a pitcher is taking a visual signal from a coach or player, this needs to be done while she is in contact with the pitcher's plate.

And this:
-Any time a pitcher takes a signal from somewhere other than the pitcher's plate (with hands separated*), it is an illegal pitch . . . (my emphasis added) "unless she also takes another signal while in the position required in rule 10.2.1"

As I stated in post 2, this just doesn't jive at all. The first statements and the first half of the last statement about the signal from off the PP, BUT, that can be negated if they did what was required by last year's interpretation. Even the AR's contradict the interpretation. Basically, as long as you are legal at some point, you are legal. So what really changed?
As I said on a different forum, leave it to NCAA to take a very simple statement of the pitcher must take or simulate taking a signal after engaging the pitching plate and turn it into a convoluted 3 paragraph statement that contradicts itself several times. A whole bunch of confusing wording that changed nothing on how the rule is enforced.