View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 20, 2018, 10:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Black Helicopters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But many independent contractor laws are state laws, not IRS regulations ...
I was just on the IRS website and they make a "big deal" of this, especially if one doesn't pay one's FICA payroll tax. As you stated, state laws may vary from federal laws, but one must adhere to both laws (adding to the complexity of this issue), plus I'm sure that the IRS works in conjunction with states in regard to audits, etc.

Our assigner reminds us every year that his records of games assigned, fees, etc., will be open to IRS inspection if asked. Every year, more and more Connecticut schools are using Arbiter Pay, and Arbiter Pay has also made it clear that their records are open to IRS inspection.

The IRS has a real problem with one calling themselves something (employee, self-employed, independent contractor) when they aren't, and with employers calling those who work for them something that they're not.

The IRS had no problems putting Al Capone in prison. Hopefully we're just "small potatoes", not worth their time, energy, resources, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 20, 2018 at 10:51am.