View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 19, 2018, 10:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Move Up The Chart With A Bullet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I've rarely seen a person that is ready for varsity in much less than that. Many think they are, but they're mistaken. There are, of course, exceptions, but they are just that exceptions.
One big exception is the "new" guy who is only new to the association (transfer) because he moved from another association. Locally, it used to be that such a guy, if he was not affiliated with IAABO in his previous association, would have to start at the bottom, waiting seven years to get full varsity schedule, even if he worked a state final while with his previous non-IAABO association. That can't happen now because now we use trained observers to place officials at the appropriate level.

I'm pretty sure that Camron Rust was referring to the first few years of a true rookie. He's right that experience is important, but sometimes somebody comes along who's just seems ready for the big time. Played in high school, and/or college. Coached at the interscholastic level (we have several guys who switched from coaching to officiating). Got their pizza money in college officiating basketball intramurals. Officiated other interscholastic sports (it's all about game management). Guys with some of these credentials on their resume may be able to "move up the chart with a bullet".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)