View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 05:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Be It Ever So Humble ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The point was that many officials like working at a certain level because they can get games close to their house or job and be home at a certain time. Varsity officials in my experience are much more likely to be asked to work in a larger area or for different conferences if they want a full schedule. Not the case in lower level games.
Great point. Connecticut is a small state, and I'm only in a little corner, so I'm not required to travel more than 55 miles (one way) for any of my varsity games.

Back in the day, when I did recreation, and travel, games, they were all in my hometown. Ten minute drives. Back when I was doing Catholic middle school games, they were all in towns adjacent to my hometown. Twenty minute drives. I worked these types of games both for the experience, and the money.

Back then, and now, I would never travel 55 miles (one way) to do a recreation, travel, or a Catholic middle school game. Especially when there were, and are, tons of these games available to work much closer to home.

I just choose not to work them. I've paid my dues. I've been around the block a few times. I've been to a few rodeos.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 18, 2018 at 06:17pm.