View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If it works, great.

Here in the Constitution State we're in dire need of officials in many sports, especially sports that traditionally play in the afternoon. I saw a basketball colleague of mine over the weekend who told me he took, and passed, the volleyball exam over the summer, and he's doing high level varsity volleyball games (state ranked teams) in his first year.

Of course, being the basketball official that I am, I kidded him that the hardest part of officiating volleyball was going up the ladder. He disagreed with me and said that hardest part of officiating volleyball was going down the ladder, one goes down backwards, and one can fall.
If he does not understand that more energy is required to ascend than is needed to descend the ladder then he needs to step up.

Many basketball, and some soccer, officials move straight to volleyball due to knee/hip wear and tear. Dozens of old officials doing volleyball around me.

I think many youth fear officiating because they think it is what they see, Varsity games. They see adults yelling at Varsity games and think that is what officiating is.They do not understand that there are many levels of officiating the younger crowds and that they can start there. Additionally, they do not realize the mentoring/training that is available to them.

Local associations have struggled for years recruiting younger officials. Definitely a shortage.