Thread: block/charge
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

There is no question that AAU, summer camps, etc. have games where rules are vastly changed/modified to suit the venue. Indeed, officials too may be wearing shorts, shirts not tucked, non-black shoes, (I've seen some wearing hats) etc. in such venues. Die-hard and detailed rules are rarely enforced as the intent is to have players go up and down the court. Many times, AAU tournaments featuring high-profile players can get very rough but everyone understand the intent, including the players who usually are quite good about that type of play. If 2 post big/talented post players are banging each other all game long, with no ill will/intent, and the play is still good, nobody cares. As another example if 2 guards are really going at each other with hand checks and strong play, nobody cares. It is a time to really apply advantage/disadvantage principles.

I also find that there is a slight difference between "ignoring" and "not caring." I feel that ignoring involves being fully aware of something and intentionally not addressing it. In my area, many officials simply do not care about proper equipment/clothing. During warm-ups, they do not care to even look at players and how they are dressed. When it comes to knowing the rules about proper attire, they simply do not care to bother with reading them. I've questioned officials many times about a particular's player's attire and they have no clue if it is fully legal. Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not go searching for a player to bust for illegal attire either.

Just my quick 7 cents. Never understood why the phrase involved 2 cents. Billy, no need to give me an explanation to pad your posting stats as I am researching it on my own now, lol.