View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
It has always been my understanding that judgement calls should never be reversed (no matter how bad the call may have been); it is a matter of game integrity.

Specifically:
a.) If the calling umpire has all four of the elements in front of him/her, then it is a judgement call; and not legitimate grounds for asking for, or giving, help.
b.) Going for help (with or without an appeal) is reserved for those circumstances when the calling umpire did not have all four elements of the play in front of him/her.
I was working a women's slow pitch game with a partner who was on the bases. At one point during the game, he zoned out and made an egregiously bad call at first base. About the time he made the call, he must have popped back into reality because he immediately called time out (usually the plate umpire's duty). He came in and said to me, "I just blew that call and need some help." I just nodded and said something like "OK, make it right."

He reversed the call, everyone was happy, and we continued the game.

He had all 4 elements in front of him, but because he dozed off for a play, made a bad judgment call. The good news was that he realized it and we were able to fix it.