View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I'm not going down the Jim Joyce rabbit hole.
And maybe I have an 0-2 count on the message board.
One more swing, then that's it.

It has always been my understanding that judgement calls should never be reversed (no matter how bad the call may have been); it is a matter of game integrity.

Specifically:
a.) If the calling umpire has all four of the elements in front of him/her, then it is a judgement call; and not legitimate grounds for asking for, or giving, help.
b.) Going for help (with or without an appeal) is reserved for those circumstances when the calling umpire did not have all four elements of the play in front of him/her.

Simply put, "help" is the opportunity to provide additional information that was not available to the calling umpire, not just another opinion on the same set of facts.

I will also say this. We have some rec leagues where a regular umpire will have a youth umpire partner with no formal training. It is clearly understood, that whatever call the youth umpire makes, the call will not be changed by the regular umpire, even if the coaches request.

If this is not the case, I will go back to my assignors, trainers, clinicians and mentors and tell them I got it wrong.