View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 05:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Proper Terminology ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
... we must be precise in our terms. The more we use the precise term, the more we are likely to get it right...but hey that’s me...
You, and the NFHS.

Basketball Points of Emphasis - 2018-19

OFFICIATING PROFESSIONALISM AND USE OF PROPER TERMINOLOGY

The final point of emphasis by the committee deals with professionalism by officials. In an era where officials are more needed than ever, it is important that officials maintain professionalism that leaves no one questioning their motivations. Key in this professionalism is the use of proper terminology. In an era of round-the-clock commentators using today’s latest lingo to describe game situations to entertain, officials cannot be caught up in that shift to less than professional terminology. A few examples of using the proper terminology include:

• Backboard (NOT Glass)
• Division Line (NOT Center, Mid-Court, or Time Line)
• End Line (NOT Baseline)
• Fumble (NOT a Muff)
• Goal (NOT Basket)
• Grant Time-Out (NOT Call Time-Out)
• Held Ball (NOT Jump Ball)
• Obtain (NOT establish)
• Officiate Game (NOT Call, Control, Manage, Ref, Work; Officials Officiate the Game)
• Request Time-Out (NOT Call Time-Out)
• Ring (NOT Rim)
• Screen (NOT Pick)
• 60-Second Time-Out (NOT Full Time-Out)
• Traveling (NOT Walk)

The use of proper terminology is one of many steps to ensure that the perception of game officials and the reality of their actions, remains on a higher plane and a critical part of the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 11, 2018 at 05:42am.