Thread: Balk perhaps?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubbies87
... then brought his hands together about chin level, with ball in hand. He paused...
I had a high school pitcher in a fall league doing the same thing last night. And additionally...

At the exact same moment his hands came together at chin level, his non-pivot foot would come up next to his pivot foot and pause approximately 2 inches off the ground. The pause for for about a ½ second and then he would "drop" into his set position --- with his hands dropping from chin level to chest level and his foot dropping from just off the ground, to on the ground.

When I saw the motion, I thought of Louis Tiant who also had a multiple set type delivery, but was never called because it was always consistant. I decided that as long as this kid was consistant every single time, I would not make a call. I was trying to count seconds, "one thou" and that was all I could finish. I would estimate that his pause was always between ¼ and ½ second and he did it on every single pitch, even before a pick-off attempt. I never made a balk call.