Thread: Eventlink
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 09, 2018, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
OK. Have you noticed any advantages or disadvantages of BlueZebra compared to Arbiter?

I'm interested in knowing how you are able to officiate high school basketball in Indiana if Illinois suspended reciprocity several years ago. Or is it only out-of-state officials who cannot register with IHSA?
We are not talking about the financial services industry or a law license. You pay for a license, follow their requirements and they give you a license. This is not a highly regulated industry where states give a darn what other states you work in. Reciprocity is about taking things like your test scores or years of experience into account, possibly for playoffs or classification purposes. I know many officials in Illinois that work games in Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri and Kentucky all because of where they live. I live right next to the border so I am closer to some Indiana schools than I am to many Illinois schools. I still have to take the test in both states and fulfill all their requirements. Not very hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
My comment about schools wanting to save a buck and Arbiter was more in reference to Eventlink and other low-quality scheduling websites, and why many associations and the NCAA shell out the money for Arbiter.
In Indiana, Arbiter is used by the state office. They used it for licensing, testing, filing game reports (Ejections and technical foul reporting) for the most part. Illinois does not assign any games from the state level or association level like Indiana. Particular assignors can use any site they wish to assign games. In the Chicago area, we have the largest consortium of officials on Arbiter in the country as we have a site that about 20 different assignors use just in basketball use and if you live in this area, officials individually pay about 7.50 for the use of the site to be assigned games with almost every game in the northern part of the state. I even get some games from RefereeSchedule.com which is used in for Chicago Public Schools Games.

If I lived in other parts of the state, I might not get games from Arbiter at all. But Arbiter is the most popular assigning site used in basketball at least.

Everlink is used for some reason in Indiana for the first time this year because someone thought it was a good idea. For official's purposes, it is almost irrelevant to use at this point. This is also one of 3 sites used for some assigning purposes and I am under the impression some other sports use Everlink more than basketball. Everlink just is cumbersome for officials at this point.

Peace