Thread: quick advice
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 08, 2018, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
quick advice

A brand new umpire asked me for quick hints about rules, etc. just before his first game.
On the plate by himself; local league youth fast pitch, 12&U I think.
We talked briefly on the phone when he asked about administering INT & OBS; then I sent the comments below.
It was the best I could come up with instantly. Please comment.

plate
– focus on consistency of strike zone, look at the batter’s zone limits when they approach
- hustle from behind to cover whatever, mask off

rules
- what we said about INT or OBS, if obvious (there must be a hindrance for either, must be a possible play for INT)
- a batted ball is not foul until it touches something other than the ground – fence, player, etc.
- have a clear handle on dead ball lines and objects
- batter hit by pitch not awarded unless tried to avoid or it was ball four
- no player may bat in a different position than what is listed on the lineup
- local leagues like that might ignore things like uncaught 3rd strike, infield fly, if they insist
- also, might not give you lineups if that is the league policy
- if you are really stuck, call me

general
- allow a coach his say, then explain your call or ruling, not why they are wrong
- don’t guess an out or a strike, both require “certainty”
- announce the count often but not every pitch (second strike, third ball, after any delay)
- allow the coach to correct things like illegal pitches before enforcing, only very blatant at 12 and younger
- as new as you are, you have been trained about rules; and are the neutral one there

Most important, have fun
, ”