View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2018, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
There's a few other interpretations that need to be issued as well.

Standard FED Rules, no state-specific modifications

Situation 1: First possession series of overtime: 4th and Goal from the 10, K lines up for a field goal. Field goal is no good, and K is flagged for holding.
Can R enforce the penalty from the succeeding spot and have 1st and Goal at the 5?

Situation 2: Second possession series of overtime, score tied. 4th and Goal from the 10, K lines up for a field goal. Field goal is no good, and K is flagged for holding.
If R takes the ball first in the second OT period, can they have first and goal from the 5?
If K takes the ball first in the second OT, do we have to decline the penalty? (assuming R doesn't want K to replay 4th down, which they never would).

Situation 3: Score tied. K punts on the last play of the 4th quarter, and is flagged for holding during the kick. The play ends without either team scoring (so we're headed to OT).
If R gets the ball first in OT, can they have 1st and Goal from the 5, no matter who ended up with the ball at the end of the punt?

I sent these questions to my associations rules interpreter last night, his response was "I don't know", which might be the first time in history that he's ever been stumped on a rule interpretation.
Update on my previous response;

As long as R is the next team to put the ball in play, the tack on rule applies. So in Situation 1, since R would be the next team to put the ball in play, they may accept a 5 yard penalty enforced from the succeeding spot, so 1st and goal from the 5 yard line.

Situation 2: From the play description, it's apparent that R was first on offense and K was second. If that's the case then K would be the next team to put the ball in play (3rd OT period) so R should decline the foul and K would put the ball in play to begin the 3rd OT period from it's usual spot.

Situation 3: In this play, I think the penalty must be declined as it won't be known who will be the next to put the ball in play after the OT coin toss. Is it possible to hold off on any penalty enforcement until the coin toss in OT.