View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2018, 06:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Evolution Of An Understanding ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
That would be the classic leaving the court without an authorized reason/out of bounds ...
Quote:
... saving a ball from going out of bounds, that is an authorized reason to go out of bounds (or at least towards the boundary line). The other authorized reason is substitution). Any other reasons are not.
Quote:
Saving the ball, substitutions, and throw-ins I understand, but what other legal reason would a player have to be out-of-bounds during a live ball?
While in this thread you have evolved from highly restricted reasons for leaving the court legally to slightly less restrictive reasons, I suggest that you continue to evolve. I've answered your posts with lots of legal reasons why a player could leave the court.

Quote:
I don't think that the "leaving the court for an unauthorized reason" rule was designed to prevent players from leaving the court unintentionally.
Now that's what I like to hear.

Quote:
... a player might not have many valid and legal reasons for leaving the court ...
Now your going backwards. The scarcity of the 9-3-3 call has to give you a pretty good idea that leaving the playing court for an unauthorized reason is a very rare call. Why? Probably because there are a hell of a lot more legal reasons why a player would leave the court than there are illegal reasons for a player to leave the court.

I suggest that you approach this from another angle.

Rather than trying to make up a list of legal reasons for a player to leave the court (as you have in this thread, believing that it will be a very short list) try making up a list of situations where it would be illegal to leave the court. You'll probably find that the later will be a much shorter list, especially if you stick to real life game situations, not the odd situations like the "out the door" play.

Like I already said, almost forty years and only one 9-3-3 call in my games. There's got to be a reason.

Use the combined experiences of Forum members to your advantage. I've learned a lot from the members of this Forum, you can teach a old dog new tricks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 07, 2018 at 04:42pm.