View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 06, 2018, 11:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Longer Chicken Wire Around Basketball Courts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Saving the ball, substitutions, and throw-ins I understand, but what other legal reason would a player have to be out-of-bounds during a live ball?
Now you've gone from two reasons to three reasons.

How about the fore mentioned situations when the momentum of hustling players, offensive players, and/or defensive players, without the ball, takes them out of bounds, sometimes sliding on the floor, or ending up sprawled all over the bleachers?

We've even allowed players (see above) without the ball who have accidentally or unintentionally gone out of bounds to legally come back inbounds, with just one foot inbounds and the other foot off the floor, and gain possession of the ball (some erroneously believe that it must be two feet inbounds).

Let's even consider the ultra-extreme, very rare situation of a sick player who runs off the court to use a restroom. Calling a violation here will not end well, probably with you telling the coach that he has to sit on the cold bus in the parking lot for the rest of the night.

We can't be calling violations every time a player without the ball accidentally or unintentionally steps on a boundary line. I'm fairly positive that that's not the intent of the NFHS.

Trickery situations? Sure. Unsporting situations? Sure. Noncontact guarding/screening advantage situations? Possibly debatable (the main topic of this thread).

There's probably a good reason why I've only seen this (9-3-3) called once, and never called it myself, in almost forty years of officiating basketball games and observing others officiate basketball games (plus another twenty-five years of coaching). Is it possible that in all of these games that a player without the ball only once stepped on a boundary line? Were all of these games officiated by incompetent officials?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 06, 2018 at 11:27pm.