View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 03, 2018, 02:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hypothetical Situation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
... if the screen by the player with a foot OOB results in ... no contact at all but sufficiently delays the defender so that the offensive player gains the desired advantage from the screen.
So I've been thinking about the "no contact/off the playing court/advantage gained/leaving the court for an unauthorized reason" situation with a slightly different slant (guarding rather then screening) than the one we've been discussing.

Ball handler A1 is advancing the ball in his backcourt. Knowing that the ten second count in winding down, he quickly heads toward the right sideline hoping to get across the division line. At the last second, defender B1 cuts him off at the right sideline, with no contact, but the defender has one foot out of bounds. A1 retreats with a reverse dribble and then heads toward the division line, but due to the slight delay caused by the illegally (9-3) out or bounds defender B1, the official sounds his whistle for a ten second violation.

Is the defender illegally (9-3) off the playing court? Yes. Does the defender illegally gain and advantage by this act? Yes. Can a blocking foul be called on the defender? No, there was no contact.

Before calling the ten second violation, should the official have called a violation on defender B1 for illegally leaving the court for an unauthorized reason (9-3) that resulted in the defender gaining an illegal advantage that caused ball handler to later violate?

Maybe some these "classic" situations are not as cut and dry as some of us would like to believe.

Should we be ruling 9-3 on a screen set out of bounds, that with no contact, slows down and disadvantages the screened defender?

Odd, very rare, situations? Yes. "Classic"? No. But, inquiring minds still want to know.

Do we need to put up chicken wire around the playing court to keep the players on the playing court?

That's why basketball players are called "cagers" (I bet a lot of you young'uns didn't know that).

When Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. started officiating, he was in charge of walking around the perimeter of the playing court, making sure that there were no gaps in the chicken wire, and that there were no chickens on the playing court. It's true. It's true.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 03, 2018 at 03:03pm.