View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 31, 2018, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Super late to the party and this is pet peeve of mine but here is my stance in a nutshell.

1) If the defender has LGP then can move sideways or backward and maintain LGP. The way in which they move sideways or backwards is up to them so if they choose to fall backwards ok.

2) We all know they all allowed to duck or turn/twist to protect themselves but I would bet my next pay check that 90% of the time in High school and lower level games when a kid twists, turns or ducks in response to the imminent contact its getting called a block.

3) In the world of concussions kids/parents/coaches are not soft for wanting controlled falls. If its not a charge thats fine but you can't (IMO) call a block or a tech because a kid doesn't want to get hit or hit hard. If it becomes a no call you can have your reasons.

4) Only way this should be a foul of any kind is if kid is falling or throwing themselves at the ground without any contact or chance of contact severe enough to displace them AND acting like they've been trucked AND being indignant about the lack of call - this can be a tech. OR if the offensive player changes their path and the defender falls anyway into a path they didn't have LGP for you can call the block ie. Defender A sets their LGP in the path B1 sidesteps and defender falls with no contact anyway but falls across the landing area or new path where they didn't have LGP.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!