View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 29, 2018, 12:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Why is jewelry prohibited in NFHS games anyway? I would understand if there are hard items that can be dangerous to another player, or rubber bands that can break opponents' fingers, but it makes no sense why a player cannot wear a watch.
And I would counter with, "Why in the world would a player want to wear a watch on the field in the first place??"

The rule is the rule. NFHS is pretty much absolute in its position on jewelry, and leaves nothing for interpretation because if it did, there would be so much inconsistency on what the umpires allow and disallow. Where I might think post earrings are of no real consequence, another umpire may have seen a player get seriously injured when a pitch hit her earflap and the post gouged her neck. So NFHS just says No to everything.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker