View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 23, 2018, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We have a very old, seldom used, tradition that the non-ruling official informs the coach that the player has been disqualified. It's based on the idea that if the same official both rules a disqualifying foul and informs the coach that this could add "fuel to the fire" and create a problem. I've seldom seen it used, and have never, ever used it myself.

I have this in my pregame:
Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.
If either of us warns a coach, or the bench, let’s let each other know about it. If one of us calls a technical foul
on a coach, the noncalling official will remind the coach that he must sit down.
99% of the time, either the coach knows what the player did (there's no problem in staying), it's a non-controversial 5th foul (there's no problem in staying) or the coach just wants to know what the player said to get the second T (he deserves an answer and the calling official can provide the best answer).

Your solution deals with the 1%. We need that solution -- but not all the time. I would change it to "if it's controversial and you think you need to leave, do so and someone else will deal with the coach."