View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Another substitution one

Had this tonight.

Varsity Quad.

Team A has the following players get up off the bench to substitute: #8, #7, #1. #8 is the first to arrive at the substitution zone, but her substitution partner is still on the other side of the court, so #7, moves into the zone and #8 moves out. I authorize this substitution and send #7 in. #1 then goes in and I authorize her substitution. The coach then pulls #8 back and withdraws the substitution request. I, as the R2 have no problem with this, but my R1 issues a YUD and requires #1 and #7 to be removed from the match and their subsequent substitution partners returned to the floor. His rationale is that the player who was first to enter the zone and as a result be the substitution request was withdrawn, therefore no substitutions can take place. Coach does not agree, but given the situation doesn't make a big deal about it.

I can find in the casebook a circumstance in which the 2nd player comes up and is pulled back without penalty if it doesn't delay the set, but nothing about the first player in being withdrawn from a multiple substitution situation.