View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with your logic about 1 minute being too early unless you are in a college game or other game when the clock stops after scores (1 minute Q1/2/3, 2 minutes Q4/OT for pro-am under NBA rules, 2 minutes Q4/OT FIBA rules). I'll ask my local groups about alternate practices, but until I find out about that, I'll do what the book requires.

The material published by Referee is good, but it does not include a "Common Alternative Practices" or similar section. If I was publishing books like that, I'd survey officials, through a thread such as this or other means, and include other, off-book practices in an appendix (there would be a description of the officially approved, by-the-book procedure, and a reference to the appropriate part of the CAP section). This is also why I started this thread, to see what alternative practices exist, and if there differences between these practices at the high school, college, NBA, or FIBA levels (last two are less likely, because NBA and FIBA officials go through rigorous training when hired).

The reason why I mentioned the 1 finger for 1 minute and point at the shot clock at 10 second signals as communication signals is because I believe that is their purpose: to make oneself aware and inform the other officials. If there is another, hidden, purpose, let me know. I can't read between the lines because I don't have X-ray vision.