View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 18, 2018, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Last night was my turn in the lightning discussion. We suspended a game due to lightning and thunder. It ultimately was decided to continue the game at a later date due to the field lights automatically turning off at a set time.

Anyhoos, my partner and I engaged in a discussion regarding the guidelines. He claimed that the 30 minute guideline was changed from 15 minutes sometime in the last 10 to 12 years. I didn't think that was accurate and as far as I knew it has been 30 minutes as far back as I can remember.

Anyone have the history on that matter?

Also, given his opinion on the 15 minute "change", he stated that individual leagues could/would/should have the ability to alter that rule/guideline to whatever they wanted. And furthermore, that if enough impetus came from the rank and file, USA would be forced to change the guideline to what the masses demanded.

My position was that our local UIC, state UIC, regional UIC would never agree to teams/leagues watering down any safety guidelines, particularly something as dangerous as lightning. Also, that we (as USA Softball independent contractors) would not be covered under insurance if we chose to work those leagues/games.

Like most local venues across the country, we don't have sophisticated lightning detection equipment. Many players, coaches, umpires have smart phones that can track clouds and cells, but perhaps not high-tech detection apps.

Thoughts?
It has changed over the years. If I remember correctly, it was 10, 20 then 30 minutes. Liability is the issue, so the masses will not have shit to do with any change. OTOH, I don't believe that time should be written in stone, and it is not.

First story:

Men's A Industrial National in Lakeland, FL about 20 years ago. While on the fields, we all were instructed to get the teams off the fields immediately. Lots of weird looks, but herded everyone off in spite of there being no sign of a storm. About 5 minutes later, we got clobbered with rain, thunder and lightning. 10 minutes later, clear sky and were told to inform the teams we were starting up in 10-15 minute. Teams were on the fields warming up in less than 5 minutes. To me, that was impressive.

Second story:

A few years back as the UIC of the JO 18U States, we got a surprised storm including lightning, but very light rain. While there was still some spot lightning visible and only a drop here or there, I talked to my PU for his opinion since he was ATC and a certified weather observer. He asked if I wanted him to make the "call". He was referring to the control tower where he worked about 30 miles to the North.

Just to make sure everyone got in on this, I asked both coaches to come to the plate and handed my cell phone to the PU. The ATC he got happened to be a softball parent and knew exactly where the field was located. He put the phone on speaker and asked for a weather report. The ATC stated that we were clear and will see a passenger jet over us in about 30 seconds. The coaches were impressed when a plane flew overhead. He told us we were clear of any danger even though lightning could be seen to the North.

I asked the coaches if they had any problem starting up as soon as possible and they couldn't have been happier to get going. A couple of the parents seemed to have an issue with that decision. One mother (I assume) tracked me down and wouldn't let it go telling me how I'm placing her daughter and everyone else in danger. Being the nice guy I am I explained what occurred, but that didn't seem to satisfy her and just got louder. I reiterated that all is clear. She threatened to call the head of ASA because she could still see lightning in the distance. I told her to feel free to make that call. I doubt she made that call, but ASA added an exception to the 30 minute "rule" if there is "an advance lightning detection device in use". I think an air traffic control tower could meet that exception

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Aug 20, 2018 at 07:38am.