View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 18, 2018, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

USA lightning guidelines

Last night was my turn in the lightning discussion. We suspended a game due to lightning and thunder. It ultimately was decided to continue the game at a later date due to the field lights automatically turning off at a set time.

Anyhoos, my partner and I engaged in a discussion regarding the guidelines. He claimed that the 30 minute guideline was changed from 15 minutes sometime in the last 10 to 12 years. I didn't think that was accurate and as far as I knew it has been 30 minutes as far back as I can remember.

Anyone have the history on that matter?

Also, given his opinion on the 15 minute "change", he stated that individual leagues could/would/should have the ability to alter that rule/guideline to whatever they wanted. And furthermore, that if enough impetus came from the rank and file, USA would be forced to change the guideline to what the masses demanded.

My position was that our local UIC, state UIC, regional UIC would never agree to teams/leagues watering down any safety guidelines, particularly something as dangerous as lightning. Also, that we (as USA Softball independent contractors) would not be covered under insurance if we chose to work those leagues/games.

Like most local venues across the country, we don't have sophisticated lightning detection equipment. Many players, coaches, umpires have smart phones that can track clouds and cells, but perhaps not high-tech detection apps.

Thoughts?