View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
AFAIK, how to judge contact is partially a function of knowing the rules and partially a function of experience/watching video on how similar plays are officiated, not necessarily a mechanics issue.

On a different note, what are good sources to consult for philosophy? IMO, the casebook explains why certain plays should be ruled a certain way, but I don't know how much officials actually apply casebook interpretations to real game situations, just like officials sometimes go off the script set by the NFHS manual.
1) Which is exactly why I said the manual can’t teach you good judgment. But part of good judgment is being in the right position, which the manual does have guidance for. But it’s very elementary and can only teach you so much.

2) Your assigners, veteran partners, camp clinicians, publications...many options. But you will have to learn to filter philosophical advice so you can get rid of the bad stuff.

Stop comparing everything to the mechanics manuals. As you work more you will learn that many officials haven’t read them in years. They keep up with the major changes but don’t have every detail from the current year’s manual memorized. And newsflash, assigners do not care if you can quote the entire manual from scratch if your playcalling sucks and you question everything you’re told.

My advice to you would be to listen way more and talk way less. Based on the way you post on this forum, the perception is that you are too concerned with trivial details to the extent that it overshadows the good advice you are receiving.