View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I always put up a finger as close to the 1 minute mark, expect my partners to copy me whenever possible, and tap my chest around 15 seconds if I am responsible for the shot, when it comes to last second shots.
The "1 minute signal" is used on the last period of college games to remind officials that the clock is supposed to stop on a made basket. It's not used in earlier periods, and shouldn't be used in HS (unless the HS has the same timing rule).

15-seconds to signal last shot is too early, imo, unless the team is clearly holding for the last shot and the defense is letting them do so.

In HS, if the team is holding, I like to transition so C is opposite the table. I think giving C the last-second shot is better than giving it to "opposite".

I will also go away from this mechanic if we have a throw-in from (near) the opposite end-line and a stopped clock with ... let's go with 3 seconds or less. We will all communicate that C has the last shot. This lets the best official get a look whether it's a "short pass and a long shot" or a "long pass and a short shot" or a "steal and a shot at the other end."