View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 01:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... I always put up a finger as close to the 1 minute mark, expect my partners to copy me whenever possible...

I know some officials who say 1 minute is way too early, high school or college. I know some college officials who only want it done once we reach the last shot clock cycle. I know other officials who only want it done during dead balls, and not while we are transitioning up court or actively trying to officiate. There is no "one size fits all". It's what pre-games are for, to make sure everyone's operating off the same sheet of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
...When do officials most frequently go off-script, in your experience? What might be good reasons to do so?
I go off script when I think what I'm doing is better than what the manual dictates and I know I can do so without blowback from that particular supervisor. My HS supervisor wants play-calling at a high level and games managed. I can pretty muchy doing any mechanic I want as long I'm doing those 2 aforementioned things. The lower you are in the pecking order, the more you are expected to stick to the script.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Aug 16, 2018 at 03:43pm.