View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 15, 2018, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe they do not like the coverage of 2-person in that level of game. Anything that happens is not going to be like the scrutiny is going away. I would try to work at other levels that I am already working. We are independent contractors. when schools realize we do not have to leave our house for what is below a standard we have set, the better off everyone will be.

Also, some people have the desire to work higher level and more athletic basketball. That is a preference. It is not like we are getting rich doing this or making a D1 salary for a couple of hours. I think enjoying what you do is just as important as what level you do.

Peace
That’s a great way to look at it. I personally don’t enjoy lower level varsity basketball, or high school girls for that matter. I’d love to act as an independent contractor and not take games I don’t want. Unfortunately in our area it doesn’t work like that. We have one assignor who assigns for like 90 high schools in central and southern Iowa. I can think of about 3 schools that don’t use him and contract their own games. You can’t exactly turn back games and expect him to keep using you, no matter how desperate he is for people. If you want games in this area, you work what he gives you. As I mentioned, he does a great job of only putting you on a couple of those shitty games every season so you just kind of take your lumps. If you took your line of thinking in our area, you wouldn’t be doing much high school ball. I won’t do college ball because it’s too much time away from my family. I enjoy doing good high school ball and am fine recognizing that sometimes in life things aren’t perfect.