Thread: hearing aid
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 13, 2018, 10:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Prairie State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the state says that they need the letter, then that's the rule for that state. IL is one such state.
Can't argue with that.

In regard to Illinois, are you specifically talking about hearing aids, cochlear implants, or transdermal pumps, or any, and all, medical devices?

How can a state association foresee, and be proactive, regarding every and all future medical devices that may show up on a basketball court? New medical technology comes out all the time, often at an exponential pace, especially medical devices linked to smartphones.

Does such a state association take away all the ruling authority of the referee on site?

Over the years I've only had one cochlear implant, one transdermal pump, and one prosthetic leg. As the referee on site, I ruled all three to be legal (based on the three criteria), but suggested that the coach or athletic director contact the state association for some type of written ruling. After each game I contacted my assignment commissioner, who acts as the liaison between officials, athletic directors, and the state association, as well as my local interpreter.

I've seen a few "concussion headbands" over that past few years, and treated them exactly like the medical devices above, until Connecticut ruled them to be legal with no color restrictions.

I've seen dozens of hearing aids over the years. We've always considered them to be legal. Of course, we have a private deaf school high school in our local assignment geographic area, but I have seen several in public high school games as well.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 13, 2018 at 11:14pm.