View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 24, 2018, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
You may have heard about the JBA, the new basketball league that LaVar Ball created to be an alternative to the NCAA. Many players in the JBA are those who would be ineligible for the NCAA, and who would have to go to junior colleges to improve their grades, or athletes who are interested more in becoming professional athletes than getting an education. I would assume that the level of play in the JBA is between an upper-level varsity and D2 level of play, based on game videos.

Just like the NCAA, G-League, or NBA, the JBA needs officials to function. How does the hiring process work? Does the JBA have tryout camps, like the various collegiate (NCAA/NJCAA/NAIA) conferences, the NBA, and even the semi-pro ABA, or does it rely on local high school officials recommended by their assigners? I tried to contact the JBA about officiating through the email address provided on their website, but I did not receive a response.

If anyone has any information, I'd be interested to hear it. Maybe the JBA will become as viable a pipeline to the NBA for officials as it is for players.
To answer your question, since everybody else here wants to be holier than thou high school state final officials (who gives a damn) every time you try to ask a question:

Since there are so few games in the league (JBA), they have been assigned by "bigger name" officials in the area near the host city, to guys that have more experience. The pay is $500/game, and they are one off assignments (not try out to get on the staff roster or anything like that).

To other points - keep being excited about officiating, have a plan, and in that plan, have a way you are going to accomplish each step. Don't worry about people shooting you down for asking questions, but also be wary as coming off as a know-it-all.

Keep asking questions and trying to learn.