View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 23, 2018, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Midcourt And Forecourt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like NFHS wants a two-foot extension of the hash mark into the out of bounds area to designate the edge of the box closest to the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Do all schools still have a 28 foot hashmark on the playing court? Didn't we do away with the 28 foot hashmark when we did away with the reset of the closely guarded dribble count, and got rid of the lack of action rule.
The oldest rulebook that I've kept is 1996-97, and that rulebook, and more recent rulebooks, do not show a 28 foot hash mark on the playing court diagram. All of my IAABO Mechanics Manuals do not show a 28 foot hash mark on the playing court according to the "The Court As Officials See It" diagrams.

I'm guessing that the 28 foot hashmark disappeared in the early 1990's, around the same time that the NFHS did away with the reset of the closely guarded dribble count (midcourt to forecourt), and got rid of the lack of action rule.

We can talk about a distance 28 feet from the endline, but we can't talk about a 28 foot hashmark. By rule it's not there any more (we no longer divide the midcourt from the forecourt). It may still be painted on some high school, and middle school, courts, but, by rule, it's no longer there.

Now, would somebody please get out their protractor, yardstick, pencil, scissors, and floor tape, and please tell me exactly what the hell this means (below):

1-13-2: A line, perpendicular to the 28-foot line and placed at each end, with a minimum length of 2 feet, shall be extended toward the team bench so that the coaching box boundary is evident.

Stat-Man's diagram came close, but there should be no lines extending onto the playing court. There should just be lines on the out of bounds side of the sideline. The 28 foot hashmark can't be there, because the rules say it it no longer exists (even if it's still painted on the playing court of your local gym).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 23, 2018 at 05:03pm.