View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 19, 2018, 01:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Is going to the blocks before each quarter random, or is it determined by where that umpire was when the quarter ended?

I don't know, because the intramural games I worked 3-person for used halves. Presumably, the umpires just go to the blocks on the same side they were for warm-ups before each half, and then to L or C, depending on where the throw-in goes for the 2nd half. (Placement for the 1st half and OT is predetermined, because those periods start with a jump ball)

Any other things that would confuse an official newer to 3PO?
At the start of the 2nd half the U's are supposed to monitor the same teams they monitored in the pregame, so that would not put them on the same block. In between the 1st & 2nd/3rd & 4th quarters, you go to the nearest block. In one of the HS associations I worked in, the 2nd & 4th quarter throw-ins are administered by whoever is closest to the division line when the previous quarter ended.

Again, you are waaaayyyyy into details that are either not very important in the big scheme of things or could be bettered answered by studying the respective mechanics manuals.