View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 19, 2018, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Is going to the blocks before each quarter random, or is it determined by where that umpire was when the quarter ended?

I don't know, because the intramural games I worked 3-person for used halves. Presumably, the umpires just go to the blocks on the same side they were for warm-ups before each half, and then to L or C, depending on where the throw-in goes for the 2nd half. (Placement for the 1st half and OT is predetermined, because those periods start with a jump ball)

Any other things that would confuse an official newer to 3PO?
It is rare anymore that I work with guys where we go to the block. Usually, there is something to talk about so it is rare that this is done at least in my experience. Usually, we will talk about situations or warnings that might have been made previously or coaching issues that could come up. Or at the very least, two officials talk while the other one is on the block. The only reason to kind of be on the block is be ready for the end of the intermission of the quarter so that you can get the teams out of the huddle. Other than that it is kind of not used all the time.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Jul 19, 2018 at 02:53pm.