View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2018, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Prep School Pregame ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... if you don't believe me, go to any scholastic basketball game ...
I believe you ilyazhito. As I stated earlier, here in Connecticut private prep schools use hybrid NFHS/NCAA rules that often change from year to year. I have never left a private prep school dressing room without both of us (two man Connecticut) reviewing the differences between the "normal" NFHS rules that we're used to and the weird NFHS/NCAA rules that we're about to use that night. Even grizzled veteran referees who would normally have a pregame of "Let's not screw anything up" (they usually substitute another word for "screw"), or, "Good eye contact", and nothing else, go over the rule differences. "How many timeouts do they get?". "Who gets a closely guarded count?". "How many feet for closely guarded? Boys and girls?". "Do the girls get a ten second backcourt count?". "Does the coach sit when he gets a technical foul?". "Do we use the shot clock for ten seconds?".

We only work one, or two, private prep school games a year (I worked none last season). The weird rules often change from year to year. The few NCAA rules that they use may delay a few years to make their way down to this level. We didn't know until just before the most recent season started that they, i.e., the private prep schools, switched the girls from three feet to six feet for closely guarded. Even the guys that do both high school and college have trouble with the rule differences. I would never go on the court without reviewing the rule differences, and neither would any of my partners.

I always have problems reading the scoreboard (who's close to the bonus) even though we pregame that the visiting team would always be wearing white. Stupid private prep school rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 18, 2018 at 07:35pm.