View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 03:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Connecticut Only: Point to floor for two point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Only officials in the Nutmeg state can do this mechanic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This has been an often used mechanic around her for years ...
I don't have access to a NFHS Mechanics Manual and/or signal chart, but I do know that this is not an official IAABO mechanic and/or signal. "Connecticut only" means that our state interpreter has encouraged us to go "outside the IAABO box" for this specific play.

We used to have another "Connecticut only" mechanic: No long switches in the backcourt when there is no change in possession unless free throws are going to be attempted.

When done correctly, it worked great. Foul on the defense in the backcourt, no free throws, trail moves up to the reporting area, reports the foul and moves back into the backcourt to administer the throwin. Lead stays put. Simple. Right?

The problem was that we had many officials who either didn't understand the mechanic, or were downright lazy. We had varsity guys in high school varsity games not switching like they were in a recreation or travel game. We had guys not switch on player control fouls. It lasted a year, or two, and we had to go back to switching on all fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 16, 2018 at 04:39pm.