Thread: Dribble ...
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 07, 2018, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dribble ...

We all know that this (immediately below) is an illegal (double) dribble:

Play D: A1 ends his dribble, intentionally throws the ball in the air, runs several feet, and catches the ball after the ball touches the floor.

So, let's change it up a little.

Play A: A1 ends his dribble, intentionally throws the ball in the air, runs several feet, and catches the ball that hasn't touched the floor.

4-15: Dribble: ART. 3 The dribble may be started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor before the pivot foot is lifted.

After the player ends his dribble, he throws it into the air. We all know that a player, all by himself, no defense nearby, may occasionally start his dribble by throwing it into the. So that's the start of a possible second dribble, and his subsequent catch of ball seals the deal and makes it a dribble for sure, more so, an illegal (double) dribble.

Does the catch really seal the deal? Yes, it tells us that it's not a pass (can't pass to self).

But does the deal really need to be sealed? Or, is it sealed?

I'm 100% on board that this player (Play A above) has started a possible second dribble.

4-15: Dribble: ART. 1 A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes
the ball to the floor once or several times. It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player’s own backboard.
ART. 2 During a dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is
permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hand(s).
ART. 3 The dribble may be started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball
to the floor before the pivot foot is lifted.

How can this really be a (second) dribble without the ball ever touching the floor?

Note: " ... to the floor".

9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended.

Does 9-5 read: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, or does it read: A player shall not start a dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended?

Can it be a dribble if the ball is only pushed "toward" (in the direction of) the floor (without actually hitting the floor)?

Does the word "to" in the rule mean the same as "toward"?

We know that a dribble can be broken down into parts (It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player’s own backboard), so does one part of a dribble, i.e., the start of a dribble, make it a (full complete) dribble?

If that were so, why wouldn't Fundamental 19 simply read, "... it does not constitute a dribble", instead of "... it does not constitute a part of a dribble."?

We also know that a dribble ends: "... after his/her first dribble has ended (9-5)". Also, what does define the end of a dribble?

So there's the start to a dribble, the dribble, and the end to a dribble.

Here's (below) an unbelievably, almost superhuman, odd play for discussion purposes only.

Play C: A1 ends his dribble, intentionally pushes the ball toward the floor, but in a split second catches the ball before it hits the floor, when the ball is literally inches off the floor, without any foot movement.

Illegal (double) dribble?

Please help me to logically answer these questions (that the start of a dribble is the same as a dribble).

I just want to clear up what the violation is in this play (Play A: A1 ends his dribble, intentionally throws the ball in the air, runs several feet, and catches the ball that hasn't touched the floor).

I'm 100% certain that Play A (above) is 100% illegal, but why?

The steps between the throw and the catch can't be a travel. A player must be holding the ball (with one very rare exception) in order to travel.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 08, 2018 at 08:15am.