View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 06, 2018, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Lol, you ask why it does not fit the definition of a dribble and then cite the definition of something else, ball location. Huh? I simply said it does not fit the definition of a dribble and indeed, it does not. Besides, that is regarding ball location, nothing else like dribbling/traveling/carrying/etc. IOW, it is treated as being inbounds when it hits the backboard, not treated the same as being a dribble.

Strange that is is neither a pass, shot, nor a dribble. What is it then? Strange that we can have a player have control of the ball, throw it against the backboard, change positions on the court, regain control of the ball in the air, and do these actions repeatedly.......and it is all legal....and nothing would go in the stat book other than elapsed time. No passes, no assists, no shot attempts, no rebounds, no etc. Not sure if that could happen any other way in the game of basketball.

I did not dunk it either, just threw it off the backboard to myself and then shot a lay-up.

The rule I quoted says the backboard is defined to be the same as the floor. Thus, the ball is, by definition, effectively being thrown to the "floor" when it is being thrown off the backboard. Thus it is a dribble.

Quote:
ball which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds
However, if you're talking about your own backboard, it too is the floor and would be a dribble, but another rule precludes that from being a dribble. Why? I don't know. The way the rules play out, it is being treated as if it were a try without it actually being a try. I guess is so that we don't have to determine if it was a try or not (unless there is a foul which necessitates that decision).