View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 30, 2018, 11:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Havlicek Stole The Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Then you agree that the blue player's deflection in his backcourt made the white player a defensive player so that when the white player attained player control he was allowed to take advantage of the exception to rule 9 - 3 - 3 "while on defense". Correct?
The white player stole the ball after a tap that could be interpreted as the start of a pass (movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats, or rolls the ball to another player, no mention of offense, nor of defense). Can only an offensive player attempt a pass? Can only a defensive player steal the ball? Can a player steal the ball while there is no team control, or player control, and nobody is on either offense, or defense? Will intent and purpose of the rule help solve this conundrum? Some questions are best left unanswered (see recent threads on the new NFHS backcourt rule).

I agree with no call. I wish I could tell you why. I know that I could use some fancy officiating language (as encouraged by NFHS new Point of Emphasis) and talk my way out of an argument with a coach, but I'm not so sure that I could pull the wool over the eyes of the officials on this Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 30, 2018 at 12:08pm.