View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 29, 2018, 04:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never, But I Came Close Twice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
... how many times have you administered this rule?
Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds?

I only had the opportunity once in almost four decades of officiating. It was a middle school game and the inbounder caught me off guard, I hadn't expected him to do delay as long as he did, so I didn't sound my whistle for a technical foul. I think that he was just watching the action, and was not being deceitful, nor did his team gain an advantage, in fact, just the opposite, his team was disadvantaged in a four against five situation. I noted the player's number and the next time we were both in the same situation I reminded him that it would be technical foul if he delayed as he a previously done. Of course he didn't know the rule. I did tell him that I would nail him with a technical the next time he did it. He didn't do it again.

Intent and purpose? Advantage and disadvantage? I lost no sleep over passing on the technical foul.

Leaving the court for an unauthorized reason?

Only observed it being called once in almost four decades. Boys varsity game. I'm the lead and an offensive player almost runs into me as he runs out of bounds after using a back door screen. I say to myself, "He can't do that, I'm going to nail him with a violation the next time they run that play". We eventually make our way down to the other end of the court, where a foul is called, so my partner and I switch. Several seconds later where back down the original end of the court, but now I'm the trail and my partner is the lead. The team runs the same play and my partner calls the violation, without any communication between us regarding the call. It was the first time he ever called it, that's how blatant it was. Of course it took a few minutes to explain it to the coach.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 29, 2018 at 04:18pm.