Thread: Help Needed
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 20, 2018, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
If #1 and #2 were the same umpire and your "partner", would you decline further games with him?
This would largely depend upon the relationship I had with that person. Also, how often might I have to work with that umpire.

In a small group, hopefully it would be something that could be corrected and would be received by that person as a learning moment and a chance to improve their game.

Then there are some that are simply unconscious. They don't know the rules well enough, so they make some up as they go along. If these types aren't willing to receive constructive criticism, then, yeah, I'd ask to not be assigned with them. It's not just their lack of knowledge and game management skills going south, but a partner can be caught up in that backwash and be guilty by simple association.

The other side of that coin is to not let that umpire work with less experienced officials such that bad habits and myths are passed on to unsuspecting officials. Sometimes, it might be better for you to work with this umpire just to keep him/her in line.