View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 15, 2018, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
And again you are all over the place. Commenting about not wanting to make an United States call in a FIBA game. You haven't even made it to a tryout yet and you're already worried about the minutiae of what happens in a game. And I know of absolutely no games or tournaments that use FIBA rules in this area.

There is an official named Matthew Myers in the DC area who works FIBA. I'm sure somebody you know knows him. Or Google "Terry Moore FIBA Basketball". And don't you have access to Albert Battista? Send him an email and ask some of these questions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
C'mon, man. How would you react if you found out that a long-time member of your association was an NBA official with an international Black (senior level men's and women's) Licence? I would be proud if there was someone from my board who worked his way up the levels and was recognized both in the US and internationally for his ability. If anyone approached me and said that he (or she) wanted to become a high-level NCAA/(W)NBA/FIBA official, I would welcome that person, teach him what I know, and direct him to people more knowledgeable than myself, to help him advance.

The fact that I know some of the major (and minor) differences between US and FIBA rules and their applications is not "minutiae" as you put it, but proof that I am serious about wanting to become a high-level basketball official in the long term. Thank you for the names. I'll look them up on LinkedIn and send them emails.

Maybe, one day I might be working the Final Four, American Basketball Championship, NBA Finals, or the Olympic Games. But that is way ahead in the future, and my more immediate goals are working varsity basketball and getting started with USA Basketball. I can take FIBA exams until I'm blue in the face, but unless I am actually able to apply FIBA rules to the appropriate games, just as I would apply NFHS rules (with appropriate modifications) to high school games in DC and MD, NCAA rules to college games, etc., being in USA Basketball is pointless. The process is not overly transparent to me (I have tried to get a hold of USA Basketball, but they are not exactly easy to reach (I emailed Ellis Dawson, but he did not respond, nor have I been able to get consistent responses from USA Basketball when calling the office in Colorado Springs)), so I would appreciate any help that I could get, even from an environment as impersonal as an online forum.