View Single Post
Old Tue May 29, 2018, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
No: a player can only leave the game "legally" by being properly substituted for.. If an illegal or improper substitution is made, only the illegal participant can be penalized. #10 was still the legal player, even though she wasn't pitching (or was available as a legal sub to fill to spot left by the illegal particpant). Tomato, tomahto.
Interesting theory, but what rule would you cite in a protest?

Upon further inspection of the rules (and one I missed when I typed last night). Follow this logic:

8.3.3 is Unreported/misreported players. This section appears first in the rule book, therefore we should apply this rule first. S1 was "unreported", and specifically 8.3.3.5.1 applies (on defense, had made a play, but before the next pitch).

All of the Effects for rule 8.3.3 - 7 in total - all mention "The unreported/misreported player is declared officially in the game"

Therefore, S1 should have been declared officially in the game. S1 in, #10 out (for someone to enter, someone has to leave).

Now look at the notes following 8.3.3, specifically Note1:

Quote:
If an unreported/misreported player is also an illegal player, the penalty for an illegal player applies.
Then she was determined to be illegal (an illegal player is a subset of unreported/misreported player); now apply the extra penalty of the administrative ejection (the other penalty of nullifying the play is the same).

Bottomline, I think #10 coming back in to pitch should not have been allowed because she did not have re-entry.

I would have really liked to have seen a protest by Oregon. It would have changed the game as UK did not have any other pitcher ready to pitch.

Last edited by Big Slick; Tue May 29, 2018 at 10:16am.