View Single Post
Old Mon May 28, 2018, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thinking about the substitution play a little bit more, was there a second illegal substitution violation?

When the original flex (I called her #10 above) re-entered the game to hit for the DP, this removed S1 from game. When S1 returned to pitch, she became an illegal substitution that was challenged successfully. #10 (the original flex) came out to pitch and the game continued.

But here is my question: did #10 leave the game once S1 "re-entered" illegally? Remember that #10 left the line up at the start of the game when the DP played defense. When S1 returned to pitch in the 6th, did that count as a second sub for #10 (the first substitution for #10 occurred in the third inning)? If so, she would not be eligible to pitch.

I don't know the answer, but I think #10 should not have been allowed back into the game. There isn't a direct answer in the rule book (8.4.3) or case book; the question is raised in AR 8-17 ("Second, if #4 became an illegal substitute when she took warmup throws at first base, does her illegal re-entry result in #1 being out of the game?") but isn't answered.

Thoughts?