View Single Post
Old Sat May 26, 2018, 03:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... in a double whistle situation, officials have to post the fist, see if another call has been made (if there is a fist or palm in the air), look at the other person making the call, and decide whose call to take.
Here on my little corner of Connecticut, where 95+% of our games are two person, when double whistles, and double fist signals, occur in a block/charge situation, in the absence of any preliminary signals, rule of thumb is that we automatically allow the lead to make the call. This may not be in any major mechanics manual, including IAABO, and I'm sure that there are better methods, but that's what we have been doing here for over thirty-five years, and it becomes second nature to us.

Of course, that assumes that both officials realize that two whistles sounded (think very loud gym with whistles sounding at the same exact time), and that one official (or both) doesn't quickly want to sell his call with an emphatic preliminary signal.

I haven't had a blarge in almost four decades of basketball officiating, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen in my next game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 26, 2018 at 05:13pm.