View Single Post
Old Fri May 25, 2018, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Big Slick, your posts are excellent in explaining the DP-Flex. I did not see this game, but the only thing I can guess is that the coach did not ask for the re-entry of S1 and somehow the player just went out to pitch not knowing what was going on, or the umpire allowed it when he took the change. Even if the umpire allowed it, the coach is responsible and needs to accept that. I personally will not allow the coaches to make an illegal substitution, but I have worked with partners that do. I will explain to the coaches that they cannot make it and why. When I do accept their changes I always tell them when a player is done for the game. A lot of college coaches act like I must think they are stupid, but a lot just say thank you. I do this to keep us all on the same page. Once I worked with a partner during a college game, and every time the coach made a substitution to the DP or Flex he had to call me in to make sure it was legal. That was frustrating! Other than that he was a good umpire. He just said he gets really anxious dealing with the DP-Flex and hates the rule.