View Single Post
Old Fri May 25, 2018, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
This is the third recent post about lineup management screwups.
You would think no one ever says keep it immediate and accurate.
……………………………………………..

I didn't follow this part of the process, specifically the boded parts (didn't watch video).

" At plate meeting, UK coach put #6/DP to F3 and #8 to F1 and flex is dropped.
The DP/Flex rules are the same for NCAA/USA/NFHS with respect to player movement (slight change in nomenclature and re-entry rules).

At every plate meeting, after accepting line up cards, always ask: "are there any changes at this time." It is not uncommon for a coach to insert the DP someplace on defense.

(point #1): If placing the DP on defense for the flex, the flex is "dropped", which means the starting flex has left the game. We sometimes say: 'the lineup drops from 10 to 9', but in reality, the flex position exists, just one one is occupying it at the moment. Likewise, the starting flex can re-enter in all rule codes, but only as a flex.

(point #2): if placing the DP on defense for someone other than the flex, the DP will occupy a defensive position and the position player becomes the OP (offensive player) in NCAA (USA/NFHS do not have terminology for this player at this time). DO NOT say the position player is the DP or TDP. The former is just wrong and the latter doesn't exist. In this case, the flex player is still playing defense and has not left the game (no one has left the game).

In the Kentucky case, the DP played defense for the flex, but there were also position changes (in NCAA, the lineup card must have the correct positions for all players or subject to appeal and penalty - that's part of the reason the "OP" was coined). No OP in this case, just DP on defense for the Flex.

Quote:
In bottom of third, changes happen (58 minutes mark of video), and UK coach is pointing on the line up card with plate umpire.
S1 comes in to pitch (sub for #10 in flex position),

#8 moves from F1 to F3. #6 is now not playing defense, but is still the DP"

Of course, I don't know NCAA.
This is where the line up goes back to 10 from 9. and is not specific to NCAA. This move can happen in USA/NFHS as well.

S1 enters as the flex. There is a myth that #10 would have had to re-enter first to "re-establish" the flex position, but that's not true. #10 is still out of the game, but is able to re-enter (which she does legally in the 6th inning, as the flex, and then plays offense for the DP). While the line up is "down to 9 from 10" the flex position still exists.

When S1 enters the game in the third, the coach entered her as the flex and she needs to play defense, because that's what the flex players do. Thus the DP is just on offense (because that's what DP's do, play offense). The DP going from F3 to just hitting did nothing to her status in the game.

If this were USA/NFHS, S1 would have been an unreported re-entry and not illegal substitute in the bottom of the sixth inning. The only difference in the codes is that S1 has no re-entry in NCAA (which made her illegal), but can re-enter in USA/NFHS.

But the bad part is that S1 should have never been allowed to pitch in the bottom of the 6th. How did she come back onto the field? Did she come out unbeknownst to the coach? If the coach said that S1 is coming back in, you don't like it happen. It would be similar to saying: "my flex is batting for #2, who isn't the DP." You say: "coach, I cannot allow you to make that change as it is illegal."

Like I stated, changes involving DP/Flex and subs needs to be communicated and clarified.

Last edited by Big Slick; Fri May 25, 2018 at 12:22pm.