Thread: NFHS Update
View Single Post
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 10:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Similar language was the word "deflection" (a common word in the game of basketball).

I agree that the word is used in the NCAA version of the backcourt rule, and that may be a reasonable sign that the NFHS is going in a direction further than that indicated in the press release.

But the word was also used in the bitterly criticized NFHS interpretation, also a reasonable sign that the NFHS just wants to fix a broken interpretation (which, by the way, is also mentioned in the press release).

Older? The NFHS, just last year, doubled down on that bitterly criticized interpretation, making it less than a year old.
I will put it this way. Our State Administrator for Basketball said that there seems to be a trend from the NF to adopt NCAA Rules for rules changes. So since they adopted this only real rules change, I would doubt that the conversation was not about the NCAA Rule change from last year. I really do not care what the NF doubled down on as it appears that was controversial at least here and if there was a change here, they had to be acutely aware what the NCAA recently changed. If they changed an entire rule to apply to one interpretation and that interpretation was clearly not mentioned in the current literature, then that is awful specific that would have other implications. If they said that "last touch, first touch" was the rule but they have an exception if the defense deflects the ball, then to me that sounds a lot like the NCAA rule.

Again, I reserve the right to see what comes out later from the NF. We are not resolving this in this conversation. I just would find it odd. But as a multiple sports officials that have seen the NF play games with language, anything is possible. And this was at least a clearer than other NF rules when they adopted "horsecollar" language in football or even "obstruction" rules changes in baseball the first time around. I know the NF had to come back and clarify their language or even change the language to reflect their intentions after the fact. Maybe that will be done here too. I have little confidence in the NF's ability to realize the impact of their changes when the wording is the most key part of their understanding of what is intended.

Stay tuned.

Peace