Thread: NFHS Update
View Single Post
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Will Tell ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We will only know for sure when they come out with the new interpretations. All we know is what they have changed. We will only know when all the literature comes out.
You certainly may be right, but without any additional rule changes (and we've seen them all in the press release) I don't see the current (new) rule doing anything other than fixing the unusual interpretation. I don't see an editorial change (or likewise) making a big impact on the backcourt rule without further rule change language, and, like I've said, we've already seen all the rule changes.

We'll just have to wait and see, but my money's on just the unusual interpretation fix, but I wouldn't bet my house on it, just a few bucks. We all know that the NFHS is certainly capable of doing some odd things with some odd unintended consequences.

I'm still waiting for the NFHS to clean up the "team control throwin only for fouls not for backcourt" fiasco with an actual rule change, not with just a Point of Emphasis (that's not available to new officials). I'm not going to hold my breath until that happens.

Remember this:

Basketball Points of Emphasis - 2017-18
2. Team control, throw-in. The relevance of team control during a throw-in only applies when a member of the throw- in team fouls. Such fouls shall be ruled team control fouls. Team control during a throw-in is NOT intended to be the same as player control/team control inbounds. Team control inbounds is established when a player from either team who has inbound status gains control of the ball. During the throw-in, 10-seconds, 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc., are NOT factors as there has yet to be player control/team control obtained inbounds. With specific regard to the backcourt violation; a team may not be the last to touch a live ball in the front court and then be the first to touch a live ball in the backcourt, provided that team has establish player control/team control on the playing court (either in the backcourt or frontcourt). BY RULE EXCEPTION, during a throw-in a team may leave the front court, establish player control/team control while airborne and land in the backcourt. This is a legal play and ONLY applies to the first player of the offense who touches the ball PRIOR to the end of the throw-in.

How are new officials to know this without access to a 2017-18 NFHS Rulebook?

Stupid NFHS.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 19, 2018 at 02:08pm.