Thread: NFHS Update
View Single Post
Old Thu May 17, 2018, 03:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Objective/Subjective ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Subjective how? If the defense deflects the ball, all bets are off to how the ball got to the backcourt in NCAA Rules.
As much as I hate to comment on NCAA rules, that I know absolutely nothing about, I believe I know why some Forum members believe that there is some subjective criteria in the NCAA rule. All bets may not be off if the defense deflects a ball and it somehow goes into the backcourt. NCAA rules: A1 is dribbling in the frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball away from A1. A1 attempts to gain control of the ball, maybe he gains player control, maybe he doesn't gain player control. The ball then heads into the backcourt, where its picked up by A2.

The subjective part is the official deciding, in a possibly bang bang play, whether A1 had regained player control (backcourt), or hadn't regained player control (no backcourt).

Of course we make these objective/subjective calls all the time in a game, so it's difficult to figure out if it's an objective call (like stepping on a boundary line), or subjective call (like gaining an illegal advantage on a foul).

One official's objective call may be another's subjective call. Sometimes they just blend together.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)